Sequoia and Kings Canyon Adventures Part II: White Water Rafting


Okay, probably it’s enough saying that I am not adventurous; because I probably am at some sort or from other people’s point of views. I’m not saying I don’t get nervous because the truth is I am ALWAYS super nervous. That’s my secret. HAHAHA!!! Modesty aside, I think I just do a good job at hiding how nervous I am or how close I am to quitting in terms of trying out something big or adventure-packed. To put it to clarity, I don’t think I am brave; I think I’m arrogant :)) Arrogant enough not to quit. I guess, it has its pros hehehe

This is a continuation of my previous blog (it took so long for me to post this haha): Sequoia and Kings Canyon Adventure Part I. If you haven’t already, you might want to check that out :) Thanks!
Our second day, you guessed it, was of course full of outdoor activities. More hiking and we tried… Rafting… 

It’s my first time to try out, what I would say, an extreme water sport that requires a lot of upper body strength. (Which I don’t have :|) 
It was scary and fun, and boy, was it hard. Paddling consistently with raging water was such a challenge for my petite figure. AHAHAHA (Some would probably even say that the paddle may be bigger than me! GRRRRR. Shut up! haha). 

Anyways, so when we were there already, there were a lot of people to do rafting as well. Tourists and locals alike. I believe there were 4-5 groups of people. That means 4-5 boats. We first all have a orientation of “what to dos” and “what to expects”. What should we do when we fall in the water, or how can we help someone when they fall. The guide told us that it was indeed a fun water sport but he didn’t lie about the possibility of the raft turning bottom up and the danger of having casualties at worst case. Hearing that, I swear kind of brought shivers to my spine haha (not really, i’m exaggerating haha). But there’s no turning back.

Other groups had bigger, taller, more muscular people compared to us, with 2 skinny guys (Sorry Michael and Tony hehe) and 3 fairly small girls  plus one experienced raft guide. We looked like we were the underdogs. Let’s see, Doc, Tony and I were first-timers, Nik and Michael had done it only once. AHAHA very powerful team! But don’t underestimate us. The key to surviving the Classes of White Water is teamwork. And THAT, fellas, is something that we had.

Ok, let me first feed you with the Classes of White Water, of course not in my own words but from our awesome guide’s which happen to be the similar as what it says in our trusty WIKIPEDIA:

Class 1: Very small rough areas, might require slight maneuvering. (Skill level: Very basic)
Class 2: Some rough water, maybe some rocks, might require some maneuvering. (Skill level: Basic paddling skill)
Class 3: Small waves, maybe a small drop, but no considerable danger. May require significant maneuvering. (Skill level: Some experience in rafting)
Class 4: Whitewater, medium waves, maybe rocks, maybe a considerable drop, sharp maneuvers may be needed.(Skill level: Exceptional rafting experience)
Class 5: Whitewater, large waves, large volume, possibility of large rocks and hazards, possibility of a large drop, requires precise maneuvering. (Skill level: Full mastery of rafting)
Class 6: Class 6 rapids are considered to be so dangerous that they are effectively unnavigable on a reliably safe basis. Rafters can expect to encounter substantial whitewater, huge waves, huge rocks and hazards, and/or substantial drops that will impart severe impacts beyond the structural capacities and impact ratings of almost all rafting equipment. Traversing a Class 6 rapid has a dramatically increased likelihood of ending in serious injury or death compared to lesser classes. (Skill level: Full mastery of rafting, and even then it may not be safe)

Kaweah River has different classes throughout the course, and it’s up to Class 4. Our guide gave us instructions when and when to not paddle, when to lean in, when to stop, when to rest, etc etc. We were obedient. I even repeated the instructions to be sure that Michael and Tony could hear it. The rush of water was too noisy and I didn’t want to take any chances haha. They were on front row of the raft which is a very important position and one mistake might turn our raft over. 













I was amazed of how well we did. The rapids were huge and strong but we knocked all of them. Super fun! Great job team!

There was a group with really strong members but their inflatable raft got caught of in the middle of two humongous stones in a class 3 rapid i believe, which caused their raft to flipped, they all fell. Good thing no one had a very serious injury, only minor cuts. 
One of the guys swam to our boat and Tony pulled him up. It was very quick and terrifying all the same. But we’re thankful that everyone was fine.

The course lasted for more than an hour, maybe two. We all had a great time, gained great experiences that we can tell and blog (which I am doing right now) It was well worth the try. And definitely, we’ll try again! :) 
OK, I don't know how to end this already  super long blog so yeah, i think i'll end it here hahaha  
oh, wait.... here's a great vid of Kristine Doctor. Please follow her in youtube. 
If you have the same experience, feel free to share it to me and to the world!
Until, next time…

xoxo,
lloyd

Instagram